- March 9, 2019
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Every Child Should Be Safe -
Independent Community Living is proud to be a certified Safe Sitter® provider! Founded in 1980, Safe Sitter® is a national nonprofit organization devoted to preparing 6th-8th graders with the life and safety skills they need when they are home alone, watching younger siblings, or babysitting.
Course content includes:
- Safety Skills: Indoor safety, outdoor safety, online safety, and personal safety.
- Child Care Skills: Child development, child care routines (including diapering practice), and behavior management.
- First Aid & Rescue Skills: Injury prevention, injury management, and choking rescue.
- Life & Business Skills: Screening jobs, setting fees, and greeting employers.
Sign up Today
- Classes total 5 1/2 hours in length
- Classes are for 6th-8th grade children
- Classes are held over a two day or one day period
- Students will receive a Safe Sitter® Handbook, Completion Card, and Safe-Sitter Kit including a cinch bag, bandage dispenser, an important information note pad, and flashlight
Classes are $75. Scholarships are available.
Visit the Safe Sitter® website for more information about this exciting program!
Note: When Midland Public Schools are closed due to inclement weather, our classes will be cancelled.
Meet Our Instructors
Amber has worked in the medical field for 16 years in various roles such as a Certified Nurse’s Assistant, a Medical Assistant and a Certified Dialysis Technician.
Amber also teaches CPR/First Aid/Heartsaver courses and is a volunteer EMT for the Hope Township Fire Department!
Brett went to SVSU for Elementary Special Education and has worked with kids since he worked at his aunt’s daycare for three Summers growing up. He also knows sign language!
Brett is passionate about Safe-Sitter because he believes it is very important for kids to be prepared for and to know the importance of not panicking in emergencies.
Crystal also teaches CPR/First Aid/Heartsaver courses and is studying Nursing at Delta College.
She has been a Girl Scout Troop Leader for 3 years and she is passionate about Safe-Sitter because no matter a person’s age, there is something they can do in the event of an emergency to potentially save a life.
Jeremy has worked in home care for the past 10 years and has also served as was a youth leader at his church. He is passionate about teaching kids the skills that they need to become prepared for different situations that may arise in their life. He has three children and loves woodworking and being outdoors!
Kari has been a Gentle Teaching trainer for four years and became Safe-Sitter certified in 2018. She has worked with children as a volleyball and basketball coach and a Sunday School teacher. She enjoys spending time with her family and kayaking.